Saturday, February 7, 2015

Marie-Françoise Bougaran, Complulsive Baby-Killer Girl - France, 1865

Marie-Françoise Bougaran, 15-years-old, was tried in Quimper in 1866 and convicted and sentenced to 20 years on prison.


FULL TEXT: The Brest journals give an account of the arrest of a servant girl named Bougaran, charged with the murder of three infants, the children of Mr. R— [Robinaud], Professor in the College of that place, and of one other child, the daughter of Mr. M—, clerk to the juge de paix at Lesneven [error in orig. “Lanseven”]. The first three children all died in November, apparently from a gastric affection, which caused them to vomit blood and fecal matter. A few days later the fourth child died, under precisely similar circumstances, a day or two after he had engaged the servant who had lived with Mr. R. Suspicion then arose that she had poisoned all the children, and she was in consequence arrested. When interrogated she confessed that she had killed all the children by forcing them to swallow excrements, and then cutting the veins of the neck with a knife, which she inserted in the mouth. The post-mortem examination of the poor children has fully proved this statement to be true. The girl affirms that she committed the crimes under an irresistible impulse, and that, had she remained longer with Mr. M.— she should have murdered his other child in the same manner.

[Untitled, from “Foreign News and Gossip.” Column, The Brooklyn Daily Eagle (N. Y.), Dec. 30, 1865, p. 1]


FULL TEXT (Translated from French): This case is about crimes fortunately of an exceptional nature, and whose first recitations caused, when they were published, a general feeling of surprise and horror. The debates of this serious trial began at the hearing on January 13 before the Assize Court of Finistère.

At ten o'clock in the morning, the court enters into session, and the jury is drawn. The accused is introduced. Her features are regular she does not seem to understand the seriousness of the accusation that weighs on her. Her name is Marie-Françoise Bougaran, aged fifteen, born in Plabennec (Finistère), and residing there.

Me de Chamaillard, lawyer, is in charge of her defense.

Mr. Derome, imperial prosecutor, occupies the seat of the public prosecutor's office.

The judgment of dismissal and the indictment are read. This last piece is thus conceived:

Sieur Robinaud, a teacher at Lesneven College, lived in this town with his wife and five children, the youngest of whom, Joséphine, was only eight months old. This child, of a very delicate constitution, had for some time given very serious anxiety to her parents, but her health seemed entirely restored when the Robinaud couple, towards the end of October, 1865, Marie-Françoise Bougaran, fifteen years old, became their servant. No sooner had this young girl come in to tell them that little Josephine was sick again, and succumbed on the 12th of November, after having for several days experienced vomiting in which fecal matrices were often mixed. During this illness, the girl Bougaran had pointed out to her that their child appeared to have one of her legs broken, and the doctor had, in fact, noticed in the lower part of her right leg a fracture which was to go back twelve or fifteen days.

On the 18th of the same month, Anna Robinaud, aged five, was in her turn vomited, in which were also feces, and the next day, at half-past five in the morning, her father, who slept in a next door, heard her suddenly utter a piercing shriek, and say to Francoise Bougaran, who was sleeping beside her, "You have stuck a knife in my throat.” Sieur Robinaud having at once asked his servant if she had a knife in his hands, and if she had involuntarily bled her child, she replied in a negative tone, although the latter maintained forcefully that she had put some thing in the child’s mouth.

A quarter of an hour had hardly elapsed when Monsieur Robinaud heard a second cry like the first: he got up hastily, and on entering the chamber where his daughter was, he perceived Francoise Bougaran, who was standing near  her and was removing feces from her mouth. On the 20th of November, Anna Robinaud, after having experienced vomiting of the same nature, in which blood was mixed in great quantity, succumbed towards three o'clock in the evening, and her parents, whom the girl Bouguran had gone to warn, found her body bathed in blood. Two doctors, who had been instructed to autopsy the corpse of this child, proceeded only in an incomplete manner, and attributed his death to an intestinal hemorrhage.

On of the 15th of the month, however, Henri Robinaud, who had just returned home after a few days' absence, and whose health had always been good, had felt the same symptoms as his sisters. He expelled, as they did, fecal matter by the mouth, and beginning the 23rd it was noticed that blood was mixed in. It had been noticed, moreover, a few days previously, that the right leg and the right arm had been broken, and that there were excoriations on other parts of his body. Since then he had to stay in bed for a long time, and on the 26th of November he succumbed after letting blood in great abundance by the nostrils and by the mouth. Then the Bougaran girl came again to her mistress, saying,

"Here is the little Henry who dies like his sister."

The same day, she showed the Bergat woman, who had been instructed to bury the corpse of this child; the traces of violence that he carried in different parts of the body, and a few hours later she said, returning from the justice of the peace where she was called to give explanations on the death of the Robinaud children, that he was very happy for her masters that the doctors were not going to examine the body of the little Henry because they would have had a bad problem.

On November 22, Françoise Bougaran, who was alone at seven o'clock in the morning with Marie Robinaud, aged seven, in a room where she was lying, introduced feces in her mouth, and as the child was reproaching her she replied in a loud voice, so as to be heard by Sieur Robinaud, who had immediately gone to see his daughter, and had seen Francoise Bougaran remove feces from her mouth. A few moments later, the girl having related this to lady Robinaud, in the presence of Marie, that she was ill like the others, Marie exclaimed that it was not true, and recounted what happened, but her mother didn’t want to believe her.

The next day, Francoise Bougaran, after having served Marie Robinaud a cup of coffee that she did not want to drink, and at the bottom of which were feces, gave her some jam, among which she had put some more and the child vomited again as soon as she had eaten it.

Two doctors called to care for her who then convinced the Robinaud couple to put their daughter in the hospital in order to study more easily and follow the course of an illness whose character had hitherto escaped their investigations. But scarcely had she left the house than the symptoms which had been going on for two days would suddenly cease; and Marie Robinaud was soon restored.

For several days after this, the Bougaran girl, foreseeing that she could not remain with the Robinaud couple, had offered herself as a servant to Sieur Menou, justice of the peace of Lesneven, and on November 28 entered into his service.

The next day she came back to pick up the children at school and went back to her masters when Monsieur Menou heard one of his two-year-old daughters shout. The woman Menou immediately asked Françoise Bougaran what had this child she had on her arms, she replied that she had just expelled feces by mouth, and added that she had the same illness that children Robinaud.

A doctor who was called after having invited the Menou spouses not to leave this girl with their children, they decided to send her back to her family.

The doctors responsible for the autopsy of the Robinaud children found on the body of Josephine a fracture of the femur bone in both thighs, and a fracture of two bones in the lower part of the right leg. They further acknowledged that this girl had succumbed as a result of asphyxiation. On the body of Henry they noticed on the right arm two fractures, one to the humerus, the other to the forearm; in the right leg, a fracture of two bones at the base of the soft palate there was a perforation made with a sharp and pointed instrument; in the back of the throat a section of many arterial vessels, which had  haemorrhaged and caused death. Finally, on Anna they found the same disorders in the oral cavity, and in the throat a complete section of the carotid artery. This wound must have caused death almost instantly.

At the time of her arrest, Françoise Bongaran had admitted, after some denials, that she had repeatedly introduced feces into the mouth of the children Robinaud, and that she could thus have caused their death. The same evening, in order, no doubt, to prevent the search for another cause, she herself had eaten her own excrement, and had caused vomiting which was mixed with a certain amount of blood. But after the autopsy, when she was in the presence of the corpses of the Robinaud children, she shouted, wringing her arms and seeming to be in deep emotion: "Oh! my God! I am a great criminal, it is I who sent these poor children to paradise before their time!" And then she said that on the day of Josephine's death she had inserted her fingers in her throat, had then applied his lips on hers and blew into her mouth.

She also admitted that she had plunged her knife into Henry's and Anna's throat, and added that she, too, had broken the limbs of Josephine and Henry, by wringing them hard. She only claims that she cannot give account for what impelled her to commit these attacks.

When she entered the Menon house, Françoise Bougaran brought a package containing her effects, among which were found those that belonged to the husband Robinaud. She admits to stealing them while she was in their service.

As a result, etc.

After reading the indictment, the witnesses are called.

The first witness called, Mr. Daniel, medical doctor, residing at Brest, who did not answer to his name.

The Empire’s attorney explains that Dr. Daniel has sent him a telegraphic despatch from which it follows that he has just had to treat his daughter, and a certificate from the  doctor states that his health does not allow him to go to Quimper. It is necessary that the case be postponed to the next session.

The accused and her defender declare on this point to refer to the wisdom of the court, which retires in the council chamber to deliberate.

After a moment's suspension, the court returns to session and pronounces a judgment by which, granting the requisitions of the public prosecution, it orders the dismissal of the case the next session, which is to take place in April. (Gazette of the Courts.)

[Courts. Assises Court Of Finistère. Presidency of Mr. Lambert, adviser to imperial court of Rennes. Hearing of January 13, 1866. Lesneven case. Assassinations Committed By A Fifteen-year-old Domestic On Children. - Flight. - Horrible Details. (Tribunaux. Cour D’Assises Du Finistère. Présidence de M. Lambert, conseiller à cour impériale de Rennes. Audience du 13 janvier 1866. Affaire de Lesneven. Assassinats Commis Par Une Domestique Du Quinze Ans Sur Des Enfants. - Vol. - Horribles Détails.) Le Petit Journal (Paris, France), January 16, pp. 3-4]


EXCERPT: A Lesneven, les trois enfants Robinaud de 6 mois, 2 ans et 5 ans meurent en vomissant du sang et des matières fécales. On croit à une forme de gastro-entérite particulièrement virulente (!) Mais c’est leur jeune domestique de 15 ans, Marie- Françoise Bougaran, qui les a tués en leur faisant avaler ses excréments puis en les poignardant dans la gorge! Cet horrible fait divers permet à Annick Le Douget d’aborder l’expertise psychiatrique alors à ses débuts. Pourtant personne ne croira à la folie. En raison de son jeune âge, la criminelle n’est pas décapitée mais condamnée à vingt ans, peine maximum pour une mineure. L’auteur perd sa trace. [Michel Amelin, “La Chronique De Michel Amelin Andre Gide Et Annick Le Douget Au Tribunal!” La Tête en noir, n°138, Mai-juin 2009; refers to source: Annik Le Douget, “Femmes Criminelles en Bretagne en XIX siècle,” 2002]


FULL TEXT: Cette affaire est relative à des crimes heureusement d’une nature exceptionnelle, et dont les premiers récites ont causé, lors de leur publication, un sentiment général de surprise et d’horreur. Les débats de ce grave procès ont commencé à l’audience du 13 janvier devant la cour d’assises du Finistère.

A dix heures du matin, ta cour entre en séance, et il est procédé au tirage du jury.  L’accusée est introduite ses traits sont réguliers elle ne parait guère comprendre la gravité de l’accusation qui pèse sur elle. Elle se nomme Marie-Françoise Bougaran, âgée de quinze ans, née à Plabennec (Finistère), et y demeurant.

Me. de Chamaillard, avocat, est chargé de sa défense.

M. Derome, procureur impérial, occupe le siège du ministère public.

It est donné lecture de l’arrêt de renvoi et de l’acte d’accusation. Cette dernière pièce est ainsi conçue :

Le sieur Robinaud, professeur au collége de Lesneven, habitait cette ville avec sa femme et cinq enfants, dont le plus jeune, Joséphine, n’était âge que due huit mois. Cette enfant, d’une constitution très délicate, avait donné pendant quelque temps des inquiétudes très sérieuses à ses parents, mais sa santé semblait tout à fait rétablie, lorsque les époux Robinaud prirent, vers la fin d’octobre 1865, en qualité de domestique, Marie-Françoise Bougaran, àgée de quinze ans. A peine cette jeune fille était-elle entré echez eux que la petite Joséphine retombait malade et succombait le12 novembre après avoir éprouvé pendant plusieurs jours des vomissements dans lesquels se trouvaient souvent mèlées des matrières fécales: Pendant cette maladie la fille Bougaran avait fait remarquer à ses maîtres que leur enfant paraissait avoir l’une de ses jambes cassée, et le médecin avait, en effet, constaté à la partie inférieure de la jambe droite une fracture qui devait remonter à douze ou quinze jours.

Le 18 du même mois, Anna Robinaud, âgée de cinq ans, était prise à son tour de vomissements, dans lesquels se trouvaient également des matières fécales, et le lendemain, vers cinq heures et demie du matin, son père, qui couchait dans une chambre voisin, l’entendit pousser tout à coup un cri perçant et dire à Françoise Bougaran qui couchait auprès d’elle : « Vous m’avez enfoncé un coutéau dans la gorge. » Le sieur Robinaud ayant aussitôt demandé a sa domestique si elle avait un couteau entre les mains, et si-elle aurait involontairement blèssé son enfant, ellë répondit négativement, quoique celle-ci maintînt avec force qu elle lui avait mis quelque; chose dans la bouche.

Un quart d’heure s’était à peine écoulé que le sieur Robinaud entendit un second cri pareil au premier : il se leva à la hâte, et en entrant dans la chambrer où était sa fille, il aperçut Françoise Bougaran qui se tenait près d’elle et lui retirait de la bouche des matières fécales. Le 20 novembre Anna Robinaud, après avoir éprouvé des vomissements de mème nature, auxquels se trouvait mêlé du sang en assez grande quantité, succomba vers trois heure du soir, et ses parents, que la fille Bouguran était allé prévenir, la trouvaient baignant dans son sang. Deux médecins, qui avaient été chargés de faire l’autopsie du cadavre de cet enfant, n’y procédèrent que l’une manière incomplète et attribuèrent sa mort a une hémorrhagie intestinale.

Dès le 15 du mois cependant, Henri Robinaud, qui venait de rentrer chez ses parents, après quelques jours d’absence, "et dont la santé avait toujours été bonne, avait ressenti les mêmes symptômes que ses soeurs. Il rejetait, comme elle des matières fécales par la bouche, et à partir du 23e on s’aperçut qu’il s’y mêlait du sang. On avait remarqué, en outre, quelques jours auparavant, qui avait la jambe et le bras droit cassés, et qu’il existait quel-quels excoriations sur d’autres parties de son corps. Depuis lors, il dût garder longtemps le lit, et le 26 novembre il succomba après avoir rendu du sang en grande abondance par les narines et par la bouche. Ce fut la fille Bougaran qui vint encore a vertir sa maltresse en disant:

« Voilà le petit Henri qui meurt comme sa soeur.»

Le même jour, elle montrait à la femme Bergat, qui avait été chargée d’ensevelir le cadavre de cet enfant; les tracés de violence qu’il portait en différentes parties du corps, et quelques heures plus tard elle disait, en revenant de chez le juge du paix où elle avait été appelée pour donner des explications sur la mort des enfants Robinaud, qu’il était bien heureux pour ses maîtres que les médecins n’eussent pas examiné le corps du petit Henri car ils auraient eu une mauvaise affaire.

Le 22e. novembre, Françoise Bougaran, qui était seule vers sept heures du matin avec Marie Robinaud, âgée de sept an, dans une chambre où celle-ci était couchée, lui introduisit des matières fécales dans la bouche, et comme l’enfant lui adressait des reproches, elte répondit à haute voix, de manière à être entendue par le sieur Robinaud, qui s’étant aussitôt rendu auprès de sa fille, avait vu Françoise Bougaran qui lui retirait des matières fécales de la bouche. Quelques instants après, cette telle ayant répété à la dame Robinaud elle-même, en présence de Marie, qu’elle était malade comme les autres, celle-ci s’écria que ce n’était pas vrai, et raconta, sans cependant que sa mère y voulût ajouter foi, ce qui s’était passé.

Lé lendemain, Françoise Bougaran, après avoir servi à Marie Robinaud une tasse de café que celle-ci ne voulut pas boire, et au fond de laquelle se trouvaient des matières fécales, lui-donna des confitures, parmi lesqel les elle en avait mis encore, et l’enfant fut prise de nouveaux vomissements dès qu’elle les eut mangées.

Deux médecins appelés pour lui donner des soins décidèrent alors les époux Robinaud à. mettre leur fille à l’hospice, afin d’étudier plus facilement et de suivre la marche d’une maladie dont lés caractères avaient échappé jusqu’alors à leurs investigations. Mais à peine avait-elle quitté la maison, que les symptômes qui s’étaient produits depuis deux jours cesseront tout à coup; et Marie Robinaud fut bientôt rétablie.

Depuis plusieurs jours déjà, la fille Bougaran, prévoyant qu elle ne pourrait rester chez les époux Robinaud, s’était proposée comme domestique chez le sieur Menou, greffier de la justice, de paix de Lesneven, et elle entra le 28 novembre à son service.

Dès le lendemain, elle revenait de chercher les enfants à l’école et rentrait chez ses maîtres, lorsque le sieur Menou entendit crier une de ses filles âgée de deux ans. La femme Menou ayant aussitôt demandé à Françoise Bougaran ce qu’avait cette enfant qu’elle portait sur les bras celle-ci lui’répondit qu’elle venait de rendre des matières fécales par la bouche, et ajouta qu’elle avait la.même maladie que les enfants Robinaud.

Un médecin qu’on appela ayant invité les époux Menou à ne pas laisser cette jeune fille avec leurs enfants, ils se déciderent à la renvoyer dans sa famille.

Les médecins chargés de l’autopsie des entants Robinaud ont constate sur le corps de Joséphineune: fracture de l’os du fémur aux deux cuisses, et une fracture de deux os à la partie inférieure de la jambe droite. Ils ont, en outre, reconnu que cette èntant avait succombe par suite d’asphyxie. Sur le corps de Henri ils ont remarqué au bras droit deux fractures, l’une à l’humérus, l’autre à l’avant-bras; à la jambe droite, une fracture de deux os la base du voile du palais existait une perforation faite avec un instrument piquant et tranchant; dans l’arrière-gorge une section de nombreux vaisseaux artériels, qui avait occasionné une hémorragie et déterminé la mort. Enfin, sur Anna ils constatèrent les mêmes désordres dans la cavité buccale, et dans la gorge une section complète de l’artère carotide. Cette blessur avait dù occasionner presque instantanément la mort.

Lors de son arrestation, Françoise Bongaran avait reconnu, après quelques dénégations, qu’elle avait introduit, à plusieurs reprises, dés matières fécales dans la bouche desenfants Robinaud, et qu’elle pouvait ainsi avoir occasionné leur mort. Le même soir, dans le but, sans doute, d’empêcher d’en rechercher une antre cause, elle avait elle-même mangé de ses propres excréments, et avait provoqué des vomissements auxquels se trouvait mêlée une certaine quantité de sang. Mais après l’autopsie, lorsqu’elle fut en présence des cadavres des enfants Robinaud, elle js’écria en se tordant les bras et paraissant en proie à une émotion profonde : « Oh! mon Dieu! je suis une grande criminelle, c’est moi qui ai envoyé ces pauvrets enfants au paradis avant leur heure! » Et elle raconta alors que le jour de la mort de Joséphine. Elle lui avait introduit ses doigts dans la gorge, avait ensuite appliqué ses lèvres sur les siennes et t’avait stouflée en lui soufflent dans la bouche.

Elle reconnut également qu’elle ayau plongé son couteau dans la gorge de Henri et d’Anna, et ajouta que était elle aussi qui avait brisé les membres de Joséphine et de Henri en les tordant avec force. Elle prétend seulement qu’elle né peut se rendre compte dece qui l’a poussée à commettre ces attentats.

A son entrée chez les époux Menon, Françoise Bougaran avait apporté un paquet contenant des effets, parmi lesquels on en a trouvé qui appartenaient aux époux Robinaud. Elle avoue les avoir volés pendant qu’elle était il leur service.

En conséquence, etc.

Après la lecture de l’acte d’accusation, il’est procédé à l’appel des témoin.

Le premier témoin appelé, M. Daniel, docteur-médecin, demeurant à Brest, ne répond pas à de son nom.

M. le procureur, impérial explique que le docteur Daniel lui adressé une dépêche télégraphique de laquelle-il résulte qu’il vient dé perfdre sa fille, et un certificat du médecin constatant que son état’de santé celui permet pas de se rendre à Quimper. Il requiert que l’affaire soit renvoyée à la prochaine session.

L’accusée et son défenseur déclarent s’en ràpporter sur ce point à la sagesse de la cour, qui se retire dans la chambre du conseil pour en délibérer.

Après un instant de suspension, la cour rentre en séance et prononce un arrêt par lequel, faisant droit aux réquisitions du ministère public, elle ordonne le renvoi de l’affaire la session prochaine, qui aura lieu dans le courant d’avril. (Gazette des Tribunaux.)

[Tribunaux. Cour D’Assises Du Finistère. Présidence de M. Lambert, conseiller à cour impériale de Rennes. Audience du 13 janvier 1866. Affaire de Lesneven. Assassinats Commis Par Une Domestique Du Quinze Ans Sur Des Enfants. - Vol. - Horribles Détails. Le Petit Journal (Paris, France), 16 janvier, pp. 3-4]


CHRONOLOGY (3 deaths, 2 attempts).

Late Oct. - Enters service of Robinaud family, in Brest.

Nov. 12 - Joséphine R., 8 mo, broken arm, dies.
Nov. 15 - Henri R returns home.
Nov. 18 - Anna R, 4, becomes ill.
Nov. 20 - Anna R dies.
Nov. 22 - Marie R, 7, survives attempt.
Nov. 22 - Henri symptoms.
Nov. 26 - Henri R, 2, broken arm and leg, dies.
Nov. 28 - enters service of Menou family, in Lesnevin.
Nov. 29 - Menou daughter, 2, survives attempt.


Other sources:
* Claude Le Menn, “Marie-Françoise Bougaran tortionnaire et infanticide à quinze ans,” Claude Le Menn in Les Cahiers de l'Iroise, HS n° 2, Septembre 2014 (09/2014). p. 43-51.
* Annick Le Douget, Justice de sang: La peine de mort en Bretagne aux XIXe et XXe siècles, 2007, Annick Le Douget, p. 219.
* “Ein Kindemadchen als Mörderin ber ihm anvertranten Kleinen.” Regensburger Morgenblatt (Regensburg, Bavaria), 8 Mai, 1866, p. 1 (p. 370).
* Feuilleton Gerichtstzelle. Paris, 28. April.; Regensburger Morgenblatt (Bavaria), 8 Mai 1866, pp 1-3.
* Gabrielle O’Reilley & Liz Frame, Deadly Games: Kids Who Kill, 2016, Victoria, Australia, Echo.
* Annick Le Douget, Justice de sang: La peine de mort en Bretagne aux XIXe et XXe siècles, 2007, Yvon Le Douget.






More cases: Serial Killer Girls


More cases: Youthful Borgias: Girls Who Commit Murder


[1947-1/20/18; 2643-1/10/21]

No comments:

Post a Comment